Lube & Grease
Showing all 32 results
Shop our online store for a wide range of bike lube & grease. From spray chain lubricants to carbon paste & aerosol lube.
Why is it necessary to lubricate a bicycle chain?
You need to lube your bike chain for a number of reasons.
- A properly lubricated chain will have reduced friction, which will make it easier to pedal. And reduce wear on the chain and other drivetrain components. A chain that is not lubricated will quickly wear out, which can result in expensive repairs.
- A lubricated chain will also help ensure smooth shifting when changing gears. Which will improve the overall performance of your bike.
- Lubrication will also help prevent rust and corrosion on your chain. Rust occurs when riding in wet or damp conditions, or your bike staying damp for long periods. A rusty chain will also cause damage to other drivetrain components like chain rings & cassettes.
- Regular lubrication will help prolong the life of your chain, which will save you money on replacements.
What is the difference between an ebike chain lubricant and standard chain lube?
Ebike chain lubricants are specifically designed for the unique demands of electric bicycles. Ebike chain lubes will usually have better resistance to high torque loads and increased protection against corrosion. This is to account for the higher torque demands on your electric bike.
Ebike chain lubricants also tend to have better adhesive properties, which help them stay on the chain longer. And resist being flung off during high-speed riding. Additionally, ebike chain lubes often have ingredients that are less harmful to rubber components. This is to account for belt drives & motor seals and other componentry on ebikes.
It’s important to note that not all ebike chain lubes are created equal, and it’s always best to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for lubrication to ensure the best performance and longevity of the drivetrain.
What purpose does grease serve in maintaining a bicycle?
Grease is an essential component in maintaining a bicycle as it serves several purposes:
- Lubrication: Grease is used to lubricate and protect various parts of the bicycle, including bearings, threads, and pivot points. It helps reduce friction and wear, making it easier for parts to move smoothly and with minimal resistance. Proper lubrication with grease can help extend the life of bike components and prevent damage due to wear and tear.
- Corrosion Prevention: Grease also acts as a barrier against moisture and prevents corrosion on metal parts of the bike. This is particularly important for parts that are exposed to the elements, such as the headset, bottom bracket, and hub bearings.
- Sealing: Grease can also be used to seal and protect vulnerable parts from dirt and debris. For example, it can be used to seal the threads on pedals, crank arms, and other components, preventing them from coming loose or getting damaged.
- Noise Reduction: Grease can also help reduce noise and creaking sounds that can be caused by dry or poorly lubricated parts.
Overall, grease is an essential component in maintaining a bicycle, as it helps reduce friction, prevent corrosion, seal and protect vulnerable parts, and reduce noise. It’s important to use the right type of grease for each application, as using the wrong type can cause damage to components or reduce their effectiveness. Consult the manufacturer’s recommendations or seek advice from a bike mechanic if you’re not sure what type of grease to use.